Dr. Phillips is Senior Medical Director for Cadenza Health and has been providing Utilization Review for over ten years. After completing his undergraduate degree in Chemistry at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, Dr. Phillips graduated from the University of Alabama School of Medicine. After completing his residency with Baptist Health Systems, Dr. Phillips founded Birmingham Hospitalists, P.C. with Dr. Caldwell, providing quality inpatient care and consulting services.
In his work at Cadenza Health, Dr. Phillips provided the oversight for the company’s URAC accreditation.In addition to his work as a hospitalist and peer reviewer, Dr. Phillips currently serves on the faculty for an Internal Medicine Residency program, providing instruction and oversight for inpatient rounds, and as the Medical Director for a local hospice organization. Dr. Phillips also has extensive experience caring for patients in long term acute care, inpatient rehab, and skilled nursing facilities. He has been honored for his commitment to outstanding patient care with the 2016 VITAS Best Award for Patient Care and the A.H. Russakoff, MD, Memorial Award.
Dr. Phillips is a lifelong resident of Birmingham where he lives with his wife and two sons. He and his family are active in a local church. He enjoys hunting and fishing in his spare time.
Certifications and Memberships:
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Hospitalist Medicine
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Hospice Medical Director Certification Board
- American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review, Certified in Healthcare Quality and Management
- Fellow, American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review
- Certified Peer Reviewer, Physician Review Network